Monday, July 30, 2007

Closeness

Can you feel closeness to people you don't know very well? I had a moment, just for a window of ten minutes or so, a sense of intimacy with a married colleague, over a shared loss.

I was worried about it a little bit when I next saw her, but it didn't seem awkward. I felt relieved and yet let down that it didn't seem like a big deal to her, and she was as distant as always. To me, that moment was special, as I talk a lot, but not about what causes me pain.

Apparently I can't talk to my wife about it, not sure why I was burdening a practical stranger, or taking on her emotional burdens. I don't think this even qualifies as inappropriate conversation, more like peer counselling. Ah well, I will again conceal my inner self behind this jovial mask.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have theory about this - I think we feel close to certain people or like them immediately because we pre-existed as similar thoughts in God's head and some people we just don't like because they are opposing thoughts.
Plus it's always much easier to talk to strangers because there is less danger of expectations